To get this to work properly I made two more changes, I added a script to their home directory called xauth, which just makes sure XAUTHORITY was set and then runs xauth.XAUTHORITY=/tmp/Xauth-$USER export XAUTHORITY alias xauth=$HOME/xauth if read proto cookie && [ -n "$DISPLAY" ]; then if [ `echo $DISPLAY | cut -c1-10` = 'localhost:' ]; then # X11UseLocalhost=yes echo add `hostname`/unix:`echo $DISPLAY | cut -c11-` $proto $cookie else # X11UseLocalHost=no echo add $DISPLAY $proto $cookie fi fi | tee /tmp/ssh.log | xauth -q -
To add insult to injury, during the testing of this I had a brain fart and was trying to use $0 instead of $@, lame#!/bin/sh XAUTHORITY=/tmp/Xauth-mguest20 export XAUTHORITY exec /usr/bin/xauth $@
:-[<a href="mailto:user@host">user@host</a>: ./xauth add MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE etc /usr/bin/xauth: (argv):1: unknown command "./xauth"
Ok, after that just make sure XAUTHORITY is set properly by the shell (if it is, then the script isn't needed, but just in case...) The user had tcsh (dunno why, religious war I guess, I can't stand csh)
After that logout, login again and X should start working..tcshrc setenv XAUTHORITY /tmp/Xauth-$USER alias xauth $HOME/xauth